Saturday 16 February 2013

First Fight


As I promised, here's my first fight!

This is a soft core match, muay thai rules, no knee to the head, no elbow. 4 x 1.5 minutes rounds.

We were both competing for the first time, and we had similar experience.

I was looking forward this fight, I felt excited and I was well rested. Before noon I got weighted 57kg, even though I did not have breakfast and I am usually 55kg. After the weigh-in I had some muller rice yoghurt, a banana and hazelnuts.

I met my opponent in the changing room and we had a chat, but we were not sure to be in the same match until later in the afternoon, although we had a feeling we would fight each other.

There were a lot of junior fight before us, probably at least 30. I was the 11th fight in the senior and I fought at 5pm.

Before the fight I had a warm up for 15 minutes with some people of my team. I received shinguards and body armour from the gym before going to the ring.

We waited few minutes in the changing room, until they called my name, then we made our way to the blue corner. There I got the helmet and the gloves. The gloves were 14oz, and felt heavier then the one I use to train, which I think are 10 or 12oz.

We got briefed by the referee and then the match started.

I remember looking at my opponent head to toe and thinking, "...and now what?", and I only remember the advice 'attack first' - and so I did, but that is far as I went.

Generally my opponent dominated more with clinching, and clinching is what I trained the least. Also had a general good offence.
I planned the fight in my mind and wanted to pace it down in the first two rounds. That didn't work out. By the end of the first round I was tired. At the end of the second round I swear I was going to die. I couldn't breath and I felt as I was fainting, I nearly gave up the fight. My Kru told me to breath, and they waited 10 seconds more for me, then I decided to get back to the game, but I really was weak.
I am happy that I endured another two rounds.

Beside not be able to breath - which asthma aside, I blame it on the body armour of being too tight - I had a couple of punches to the face that I felt very well. In fact I felt a bit groggy, even after the fight for few minutes. Pain is just temporary, it's just a flash.

No comments:

Post a Comment